The Lodge crest was originally created by the Founders of the Tollesbury Lodge No.4738 in the year of its consecration in 1925. The design was incorporated into the Past Masters’ Jewel in the form of a pendant worn on the breast pocket, it has also been reproduced as the Lodge banner which is displayed in our Temple.
The key features of the design are the anchor and ships, reflecting the fact that Tollesbury was originally a seafaring Lodge. The Founders used the anchor as a symbol of security and stability, whilst the two ships were meant to define the duty of every Past Master of the Lodge; the first ship is guiding the second smaller craft (whose crew are less skilled) on a straight and correct course in Freemasonry, as it is the duty of every Past Master of the Lodge to guide and instruct the Officers and younger brethren.
The design also incorporates a ladder consisting of many rungs. These are meant to represent as many morals – the three principle ones (Masonically speaking) being Faith, Hope and Charity.
Finally, a fish is featured in the design which is believed to be a bullrout (plentiful in 1925 but almost extinct today). This particular fish was regarded as a scavenger and serving little purpose, it is believed the Founders incorporated the bullrout in the design to suggest they would accept a person of any standing into the Tollesbury Lodge, regardless of his station in life, as long as he was ‘Just, upright and a free man, of mature age, sound judgement and strict morals’.
The beliefs and principles of our Founding Members have not been diminished by the years and are just as relevant today as they were in 1925. As we approach our 90th year reassuringly the Tollesbury Masonic Centre still proudly sits anchored, so to speak, in the centre of the village playing its part whenever possible in supporting the local community.
For a record of all the Tollesbury Lodge Past Masters since 1925 click here