The Tollesbury Lodge No.4738 in the Register of the Grand Lodge of England falls within the Province of Essex (where there are currently more than 300 subscribing Lodges). There are in fact a total of 48 Provinces (Counties/Districts) within England, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
- The Lodge was founded and consecrated on 28 September 1925.
- The Lodge is based at the Tollesbury Masonic Centre – The Old School, East Street, Tollesbury, Maldon, Essex CM9 8QE.
- Tollesbury Lodge meets 8 times a year, on the first Saturday in the month from September to May inclusive (excluding January).
- Lodge meetings start promptly at 6pm and last approximately 90 minutes.
- Each meeting is followed by a Festive Board (Dinner, three courses costs just £15), usually starting at 8pm. It is not compulsory to stay for the Festive Board if you have other commitments. However, most of our members find the opportunity to relax and enjoy socialising with friends to be a very enjoyable part of our proceedings. A fully licensed bar is available throughout the evening.
The Ceremony (meeting) is conducted by the Master of the Lodge, typically assisted by a team of approximately 17 Officers. Of these, seven are referred to as Progressive Offices, usually held by a Master Mason for a period of one year as he progresses towards the ultimate position of Master.
It’s important to note – having a desire to be appointed an ‘Officer of the Lodge’ is not an essential requirement of becoming a Freemason. We have many members who are happy and fulfilled to remain as Master Masons without progressing to the Master’s Chair. However, if you have a willingness to learn and a desire to push yourself further, there is a considerable sense of achievement to be gained from ascending to the highest Office in the Lodge.
Past Masters of the Tollesbury Lodge…
Once the current Master has served his year in office, he automatically becomes a ‘Past Master of the Lodge’. It is a tradition in Tollesbury that he is presented with a ‘Past Master’s Jewel’ in recognition of his service to the Lodge as Master. To see all of our Past Masters click here.
To find out more about the history of our Past Master’s Jewel and the Lodge crest click here.
To view details of the Founder Members & Officers of the Tollesbury Lodge click here.
Currently the Tollesbury Lodge has a total of 55 subscribing members. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Tollesbury Lodge, or would simply like to find out more about the work of Tollesbury Freemasons please contact :-
Robert Stone (Lodge Director of Ceremonies)
42 East Street, Tollesbury, Maldon, Essex, CM9 8QE
Tel: 01621 868270